Daisypath Graduation tickers

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Rachel had a half day today at her public school

So, I took full advantage when she came home! She read If You Take a Mouse to School to me as I folded a couple loads of laundry. Pretty much read it by herself, except for a few harder words that I helped her with. I'm impressed with her reading progress.

Then we worked on some math. With her in school from 8:30 when she catches the bus until the bus drops her off at home at 4:30, we just don't have the time to really supplement her education as I had hoped when I first put her in. So, her math has suffered since I haven't been keeping up with it, and she isn't learning in school what I had been teaching her last spring. She didn't know 4+4, and others today, which she had memorized before starting public school. She used to just rattle the answers off, but today I had her do the next page in her math book, and she just cried with frustration because she didn't know it. It's as if she's had a "summer vacation" and forgotten the material she used to know in June by the next September. So, I had her do the one page. Looks like we'll definitely be working on math this track out! Relearning addition facts! I seriously hate the fact she's in school! At least she's gotten better at reading, gotta give them that much! Other than her reading, her being in school has gotten her no where but behind. I want her out of there after kindergarten so bad. She also wants out, she hates school with a passion. She's excited when we do homeschool work here at home.

Also broke out our science book for the first time. We're starting with The Human Body text in the Life Science series. Rachel was sooooo excited about this book! She looked through it, and wanted to talk about the whole book right there! We did lesson 1, and talked about how God created life, and how we're in His image, and everyone is unique.

Tomorrow is the last day and then we track out for 3 weeks. I plan to have her continue practice her reading so hopefully she'll go back reading even better, work on her math, definitely doing science since she most likely won't let me forget about that one after today, continue writing in her little journal I got her for writing practice, and I'd like to re-introduce history. I want her to work on some sewing lessons as well. That's a rough idea of what I hope to accomplish, anyway!

No comments: